Software Engineering Manager
We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is diverse and inclusive. We are a team of collaborators, communicators, technologists and innovators. Creative, fun and hardworking, our team is committed to providing our customers with a great experience. Work/life balance is built into our culture. We give ample time to recharge and enjoy life outside the office. We recognize our accomplishments; we learn from our failures, and we support each other and our customers no matter what. We're looking for people who are passionate about what they do and value hard work and integrity. We invite you to join the Hub!
The Manager of Software Engineering will join a strong team of engineering leaders at CommerceHub. We’re looking for someone who is eager to step in as a leader, understand and shape the Agile and Lean processes we follow, and can help drive the technology and product direction of the company.
This person must be comfortable working with the business, QA team, and operations as partners to provide the best possible result for our customers. This individual will be leading software engineers from 1 to 3 cross-functional product teams, and will be charged with providing guidance and mentoring to team members, being an active part of cross- team communication, and removing obstacles from product teams to ensure success.
The Manager of Software Engineering is responsible for:
- Leading teams of highly-creative software professionals in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Understanding and driving Lean, Systems Thinking software engineering principals
- Recruiting and hiring for team growth
- Personal mentoring of team members, and establishing and maintaining a practice within the team of all senior individuals mentoring those junior to them
- Establishing best practices for software engineering to ensure high-quality services that can be easily run in production
- Collaborating with architects and other technology leaders to help drive the direction of technology within the team and the company
- Establishing a culture of continual learning and quality across the organization\
- Monitoring high-level projects to ensure in-flight projects are on track
- Dropping down to a low level, when needed, to help direct project teams and keep projects on course
Successful candidates for the position must meet the following requirements:
- BA degree in related field or 5+ years in a development role, with 3 years as a Team Lead or Supervisor
- Strong development background
- Understanding of internet application architecture, including web services, database technologies, and SOA/Micro Services architecture
- Passion for creating and maintaining excellent services, with a strong understanding of what it takes to run a mission critical, 24x7 service with high availability
- Preferred experience working with cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with Continuous Delivery techniques and tools a plus
- Hands-on experience in project management using Agile/Lean development methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities
- Passion, resourcefulness, and dedication are a must to succeed
The Team & Culture
- Our team is comprised of very talented and highly-motivated individuals, who pride themselves on working smarter.
- We’re empowered to make local decisions, reducing the overhead of getting things done.
- We aim for operational excellence, are undergoing a transition to a DevOps culture and a “you build it, you run it” mentality.
- We favor a Lean approach to our product development, following the tenets of Kanban for workflow management, and to keep our Work In Process at a minimum.
About CommerceHub Engineering
The Engineering department at CommerceHub employs some of the top engineering talent who are constantly working to improve on processes, quality and techniques, with the goal of producing the highest quality software solutions in the industry. The lines between traditional QA and software engineering are blurred here, with quality being considered at all stages of development. Our team is comprised of very talented and highly motivated individuals, who pride themselves on working smarter, not harder. We’re empowered to make local decisions, reducing the overhead of getting things done. We aim for operational excellence, having a DevOps culture and a “you build it, you run it” mentality. We favor a Lean approach to our product development, following agile workflows such as Scrum and Kanban depending on the directive of the team. We welcome new technologies and are constantly self-evaluating our tech stack to make sure we are providing software of the highest quality. Continuous Delivery is important to us and we are constantly looking to improve our automated testing and continuous integration.
- A robust health and wellness program
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Culture and team-building activities
- A 6% 401(k) match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition assistance
- Career development opportunities
- Charitable contribution match per team member
- Competitive time off package with front-loaded PTO and paid sick leave
- Four weeks paid parental (bonding) leave
- Floating holidays
- A paid volunteer day
- Eight company holidays
We are an equal opportunity employer and all candidates from every background will be considered based on skills, experience and other business factors.
EOE, including Disability/Veterans
Authorization to work in the United States is a requirement for this role.